Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Trevor's Goldfish Crackers

I remember goldfish. The perfect combo of cheese, salt and crisp. Our daughter would eat them by the fist full. Until we found out that's what was contributing to her behavior issues.

She is now 6 and we haven't seen the likes of a goldfish cracker in our house in 5 years.

And I missed them. In fact, I missed all things cheesy. She reacted to every cheese substitute on the market at that time, so we gave up. We got used to cheese free pizza and no goldfish crackers. We later found out she has a soy allergy which explains why cheese subs weren't tolerated.

But around 3 months ago, I stumbled across Chreese. You read that right! Cheese with an R.

Road's End Organics makes it and I can get it on Amazon! It's about 89 cents per packet. It is gluten, corn, soy and many other items free. You can use it to make mac n chreese! And it actually tastes decent. It is also great in meatballs and sprinkled over pizza.

But I still missed goldfish. After searching recipes and a few bad batches, this is what I came up with...

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato flour
1/2 tsp arrowroot
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 TBS chreese powder (cheddar flavor makes them more yellow-orange)

Mix and set aside. In separate bowl, mix
2 TBS oil
1 TBS honey
1/2 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS milk sub

Pour liquid into flour. If needed, add more milk, one TBS at a time. In dry Arizona, I used 4 TBS milk (homemade hemp and flax).

Set oven to 350^.

Lay plastic wrap on counter. Form a ball of dough and top with another layer of plastic. Roll out fairly thin. It doesn't have to be see through, but not too think either. 1/8-1/4 inch. (Like I have a ruler out to measure!)

I used a fish cutter, but any shape is fine. It'll taste the same. Trust me.

Let your 4 year old cut out fish.
You will need a Trevor to make Trevor's Goldfish!

Put on baking dish lined with non stick foil (best invention ever) or parchment paper. Bake for 4-6 minutes until golden. Flip and cook 4-6 minutes again.

I made 60 fish with this recipe. On the final picture, on the very bottom is a Pepperidge Farm fish so you can see size difference.

I bought cutters on amazon and they were sold as "clay cutters).




1 comment:

  1. looks yum and healthy... will try this recipe... thanks.

    ReplyDelete