Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homemade mustard

"We look like hippies!". My husband says this as I step outside to show him my homemade mustard while he's making fresh brown rice flour in our flour mill.
Yes, that's us: hippies. But I take pride in it. It's who we are. We're making our lives better by eating fresh, healthy food (along with a few other things that make us cross the hippy threshold).
I'm making pork fingers with honey mustard tonight. But store bought mustard contains white vinegar...corn. So I did some searching only to find recipes for homemade mustard contain eggs. No can do.
Then I found one by Alton Brown, but it has sweet pickle juice. I played around and this is what I made. Be warned! This is spicy! Not a ton, but I feel heartburn coming on!

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 TBS honey
(you can cut down on sugar if you like it spicy without sweet)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Whisk dry ingredients together. In separate bowl, stir

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water

In a spice blender (I used old fashioned mortar pestal), blend 1/4 cup mustard seeds till most seeds have been ground. Add to dry ingredients and quickly add liquid. Whisk.

Put in microwave for 1 minute. Blend in food processor, with immersion blender or Vitamix for one minute or until thick and yellow. It was about 15 seconds with Vitamix.

Put in glass jar. Keeps for one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment